Wednesday, November 20, 2013

What I remember

I remember the doctor doing a couple of tests and leaving the room and coming back a bit later saying "I've got good news and bad news, the bad news is you've got diabetes and the good news is you were right about your self diagnosis that you've got diabetes"

I remember my mom couldn't go to St. Louis Park with me later that day but my brother Andrew could and did.

I remember talking with my grandmother and she says "I've done nothing for you but give you diabetes" - God rest her soul, she did more than that.

I remember being so wasted I did a bolus but unsure for how much and scared the shit out of some of my family, that was a scary day, I use the word remember loosely.

I remember the first time I stuck myself, the syringe was empty and it was a practice run.......stuck that sucker right in but pulled it right out.

I remember the first situation I encountered diabetes as a non diabetic, it was a teen drinking situation and this kid said "no, I can't drink, I'm diabetic" and all I remember is being puzzled and wondering what is diabetes and why can't you drink. I even remember exactly where I was but unsure of who all I was with.

I remember a girl friend of mine, her step dad was diabetic and she let me eat his emergency candy because I had a sweet tooth.

I remember when I would go to bed with a high so I wouldn't worry about dying in my sleep.

I remember one time an employer called me 100 times because they were worried I was dead because I was late to work and that wasn't normal.

I remember eating dinner at my aunts and wanting more to eat and her response was "you can't do that" - remember, grandma was diabetic? I wonder what other things they didn't know back then

I remember the text from my sister saying she has a type of diabetes

I remember talking to her giving her stories and saying "do you even want to talk about this" she still doesn't have an official diagnosis though...

I remember working at Perkins and losing weight, peeing, and being thirsty thinking I was a diabetic but I didn't have insurance, one of my managers was diabetic but he was positive and told me "I'm sure you don't" I also remember his kit he carried his insulin/syringe kit in.

I remember changing my lancets every time I tested, haha that's kind of funny(also remember using a new syringe every time although if I were on shots still I would recommend a new one each use, they can really get dull quick.

I remember my meter taking 30 seconds for a reading but I also remember the last test thinking 5 seconds was a long time

I remember a becoming aware of JDRF and all the good they do

I don't remember the day they found a cure

What do you remember?

This post is inspired by my sister Rebecca whom I love very much and don't know the answer to her situation quite yet. Talking with her has made me remember lots of things and lots of stuff I wish I knew along the way. There are many other things I remember that aren't posted here but my hopes are my diabetic friends and family will post a comment about something they remember about diabetes. 

I wish I knew someone with diabetes when I was diagnosed, I'm extremely thankful for the #doc #pwd #dsma #jdrf #insulindependence #ada #twitter #facebook and any other source, its been so nice meeting and getting to know people with similar situations. 

No comments:

Post a Comment