Saturday, November 16, 2013

JDRF Reach & Teach


Great event today put on by the MinnDakotas JDRF at Minnetonka High School. I've hot a few pictures to share and I'll do my best to recap the day. 

First, the keynote speaker and reason I signed up for today's meeting, sixuntilme:

Kerry Sparling is hilarious, real, genuine, and a great speaker regarding diabetes topics. I love her "log book" and childhood stories of how things where when she was young. Fortunatelyg for me I was 20 when I was diagnosed, I'm sure if I had it since I were a kid it would have been pretty intense but glad I couldn't relate to those stories. 

After the keynote presentation we were able to hear what's in future for diabetes care or treatment. Here is what I took notes on: 

Artificial pancreas
Smart insulin 
Encapsulation

 There two others but I didn't write them down :( 

A couple other things I really liked were type one becoming typenone, I also enjoy less until none. Both seem like great concepts to me. 

The third presentation was about "burning out in diabetes" here is a photo if a great room full of diabetic and parents with kids with diabetes. Truly beautiful. 

 After this break out Kerry posed in a photo with me, look mom ok famous. 

 

The last presentation was on exercise and diabetes. Only comments I have are the photos I took of a few screens. Unsure if I learned anything or not. 



5 comments:

  1. I'm glad I guilted you into publishing another blog post. Your photos of today are much better than mine. Nice to see you again. You forgot to mention that you ate Kerri's chocolate chip cookie at lunch. Now that's truly something to show your mom about how famous you are now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All photo's from my iPhone, yep all from an iPhone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post :) I'm in the process of trying to figure out exercise of different kinds. Recently read "Think Like a Pancreas" and that helps a lot but I'm very reluctant to apply any untested math to myself...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maria - so much of it is trial and error with more error but the more you do it the more you get used to it. Fear of what might happen can't be the deciding factor on what to do or not. Be sure to bring glucose tablets with you and you'll do fine :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you made it out, Doug! And I'm thrilled you were able to meet Kerri!

    ReplyDelete