Sunday, November 24, 2013

Week 1 for type 1

So it's probably been about a week now since my sister went into the doctor for an issue if some type. They put her in insulin, Nph and Humalog. They didn't tell her if she was type 1 or 2 though. The doctors wanted to wait for some blood tests too before making the final diagnosis. 

It started in Wednesday, my duster and u started texting blood sugars to one another. Wednesday night we we chatting in the phone and I suggested she go but some glucose tablets incase she had a low. Upon explaining the severity her husband went to walgreens, make it known, I would have gone too for her. 

Friday was the day she was supposed to find out and wouldn't you know it that Friday was the day. I sent her a text in the morning saying "thinking if you today" she replied "thanks I love you". Later in the day I got the text "it's type 1"

I thought "this sucks hit she can do it." My sister and I have always had so much in common and now god threw something else to bring bus even closer. 

I've been really impressed with the readings she's been getting, I haven't seen one over 200 and other than the one 56 she hasn't gone low that I've seen. Her being diagnosed really makes me think about my diabetes and the attitude I've brought to the table regarding it. 

I've always had a thing against "you can't eat that because you're a diabetic" that I've come to realize "just because I can doesn't mean I should" this very phrase has been my argument for a poor diet telling people "I eat what I want and take insulin to cover it". I should be thinking "the less carbs I eat the less insulin I have to take, therefore creaing a more stable blood sugar. 

I'll leave you with a photo of our text exchange tonight. If you're reading this blog I believe you'll agree, 100 should always be posted on Facebook or twitter. 


Oh and a reminder, she's pregnant! Quit wearing glasses as a result of her diagnosis and the baby is doing well. 

1 comment:

  1. Wow - Hey! And pregnant... Wishing your sister luck in her new D (and BABY) adventures :) (sidenote: last month I visited my parents and my mom paranoidly kept saying she was afraid my 17 yo sister has T1... I checked her after breadsticks and she was 94. I was like "not yet ma" ha ha... I also assured my sister that if she had T1 it would be OK! )

    ReplyDelete