Monday, November 25, 2013

Two for one!!

Light hearted or serious story first? I'll give you the light hearted story which is the reverse order on the day....

I met withy wife for lunch and we were discussing where to eat lunch. She wanted tacos I wanted panera for a salad or samwhich so we went to taco johns. 

I ordered the #7 which looked about the healthiest in the menu but really who knows with anything fast food?!  Bolused for 80 g carbs as a guess because I couldn't get their website to work in my phone. 

While eating the potato oles, Stacey found a hair in their! Gross, but I took a shot dammit, now what?!?!

Mcdonalds is across the street so I figured I would get a cooler or something sweet. Now that would be a good idea if I got a small but even a small was 75 g carbs. I got a large but oh no it doesn't stop there!!! Yes sir ma'am or whoever I got chocolate chip cookies too, yes ies, so here is the original math for you...,

Original bolus = 80 carbs

Needed to cover what I actually ate was 45 carbs

New correction 110 cooler and 63 cookies. Grand total of 218 carbs!!!! Funny earlier in the day I was telling some others I wished to cut my daily carb intake down to less than 150...I doubt that possible. 

PART TWO

 So I was with customers for all three if these calls until I finally figured out "this might be Becky" so I explained to my clines I needed to quick check the voicemail and upon discovering it WAS my sister I again excused myself to call her and see what's up. I thought, she would call 911 and not me if there were an emergency right? It wasn't as big if a deal a I thought. I called and quick gave an answer and told her I would call back after my clients left. 

The issue:

4 blood sugar readings within minutes of one another that varied between 150-210. I asked "why did you test 4 times" and a cry legit response if "I'm usually low at this reading". My sister is in her first week or so if diagnosis and she's really on top of the numbers, more than I was when I was diagnosed. I'm sure the doctors are also looking for patterns at this stage so I'm Glad she's catching on. 

I drove to her work since she's close enough because I wanted her to use a drop of blood on her meter and in mine so she could see they'll be close but likely never the same. I the. Did the same with a drop of blood from me. Here are her results:



 Here are mine:



Here she is, happy:


H

1 comment:

  1. Your sister has a boatload of stuff to learn. And because she's pregnant, she'll really be forced to learn it quickly. But she's lucky to have you to call.

    ReplyDelete