Monday, July 8, 2013

Why I test.

Today I was pulling out my meter and a woman at work asked "how many times a day do you test?" And I replied "8-10" her response was "oh wow". I then told her I also wear a continuous glucose monitor and that hives me a reading every five minutes. "Why do you test so much then" simply because technology fails and my cgm may have me at 140 and I'm really 190 and that's a chance for me to bolus and correct my number. 

I mostly wear a cgm so I can see the trend while running. Case in point was yesterday when 2 miles in my sugar went low but I didn't feel it, also to tell me when I'm going back up. I like a cgm reading if 150-250, never like double arrows down and rarely see double arrows up. If I tested 3-4 times a day I would run higher for 25% of my life instead of 5-10%, worth the finger prick to prevent a high or low. 

Test often, your meter is one if the best defense systems you have to prevent long term diabetes related problems. 

No comments:

Post a Comment