Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Up/down days - not blood sugar

Today started out pretty decent, I had a good nights sleep and woke up to go potty around 2:30 a.m. and thinking I must be high because I don't usually have to get up and use the bathroom in the middle of the night but my blood sugar was 91. A bit later at 4:20 my low alarm woke me up and i tested again and still was decent at 88. My overnight target is 100-120 and my daytime target is 80-100 so I'd say another win. I do have a bit of a dawn phenomenon so I tested again before breakfast at 7:30 and was up to 131. I wonder if this is because of the disconnection time of being in the shower or if it is a actual dawn phenomenon issue?

I'm a poor writer and don't really know when to start a new paragraph but that last one was looking long so I'm going to start a new one here. At 9:10 I did a post breakfast test and I was 79 and my pump told me I had a couple of active insulin on board so I did a 15% temp basal for 45 minutes and when I tested at 10:00 my blood sugar made its way up to 106. Onto the afternoon and lunch.....

Pre lunch blood sugar is 166, unsure exactly the amount of carbs I had but I do know it was a lot of pasta and a cookie, I did two separate boluses for these. I guessed on carbs for both the pasta and cookie and here are my next few #'s: 159 @ 2:20, 146 @3:45....The day started to get stressful and when I get stressed I eat, I don't eat carrots and strawberries like the rest of America, I eat candy or other food that is bad for you. I had a bag of skittles and some gummy sour worms, either one of those usually do the trick. I did a bolus for both but at different times and my 5:30 blood sugar was 198 and 193 at 6:30. I currently have no active insulin on board and am planning on a six mile run at 8:00 after Big Brother. I'm going to leave my temp basal alone, test before the run and make adjustments accordingly. I hope to eat one or two gel packs on my run, each one is 29 carbs.

I've often wondered the stand alone effect they have on my blood sugar so I'm considering a fasting test on Thursday or Sunday. The plan is to only eat the gel packs once every 45 minutes w/o a bolus and testing every 15 minutes so I can see how long it takes to raise my blood sugar. I know running and managing your levels it would be ideal to have glucose tablets or rapid acting materials but have you tried to eat 40 - 80 glucose tablets in a 2-5 hour period and you'll understand this test. Then another day I'm going to put myself on a 50% basal rate and do a 50% bolus to cover the gel packs to see how that impacts my numbers. Going to run the test in the same manner as the previous, I'll take the gel packs every 45 minutes and bolus as I take them but still test every 15 minutes. Length of either survey will only be 3 hours tops, that should build a long enough graph on the CGM to compare to actual results.

Have a great 4th of July, enjoy your Independence

1 comment:

  1. It's really pitiful that we get hungry and think we must be low. Then we need to go potty and we think we're high. I think we're just human...

    Nice to see you blogging, I Am Douglas.

    ReplyDelete