Wednesday, July 24, 2013

The Dilemma.



Good evening. I tested my blood sugar around 3:00 pm and it was 147 so I did a small correction bolus. A few hours later when I had zero insulin on board I went ahead to test and I was 105, I'd say this is a win for the doctors and for the pump for knowing how to calculate my correction rate along with how to squeeze out .6 units if insulin to come out. Normally all this would be great except I don't understand basal rates and how they affect me yet. I'm looking to go on a seven mile run but obviously don't want to leave the house at 105, easily I would pass out. N

ow for "the dilemma" 

1) how long should I set a temp basal for?

2) should I eat anything and not temp basal?

3) if I eat, how long after until I leave?

4) how long do I wait on a temp basal to be not be impacted with my activity? 

5) how much in carbs do I need during?

6) how high will I spike my sugar after the run? 

Any advice or suggestions? 

Here is a photo of how it went....

Finished my run at 220 and had no carbs since and in 265. Temp basal was 3 hours at 50% and when I was 98 I ate 12 x 4 carbs for 48 total carbs. Left the house at 180 with double arrows up. About mile 4 the arrows stopped and blood sugar stabled out at 237 for the last 3 miles. Got home and tested and also did a bolus to correct and have been high the past two hours with another correction bolus before bed. Will see in the morning where I end up.

Sweet dreams. 

1 comment:

  1. I always struggle with exercise too (although I don't run like you do!) Unfortunately I don't pump, but I've heard of people just disconnecting during and then reconnecting afterwards and temping for the next 4-10 hrs or so, depending on the severity of the exercise.. practice makes perfect? Good luck and good for you!!

    ReplyDelete