Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Sitting in the locker room

As I sit in the locker room I'm reflecting on the difference between a diabetic and a non diabetic and how simple things like working out create so many things to think about. 

When was my last bolus?
Do I have active insulin on board?
Should I temp basal?
Should I partial dose for dinner or work out before and dose after?
Will my blood sugar go up or down this work out?
Do I trust my cgm or test throughout? 
If I trust my cgm do I trust IT more than I trust myself?

I was riding low all afternoon, my cgm read me in the 50'd but I was usually in the 80's when I tested so I knew I was ok. 

Going into the workout I was 112 and I started with a weight routine. My doctor and everyone else I know says blood sugar goes up during this type of activity so no temp basal. I wasn't sure the mood if be in for cardio or not so I tested after weights and was 166, cgm read 141. 

Jumped on the dread mill and a mile in I had double arrows up in my cgm but I didn't correct because I know the cgm is about 20 minutes behind. Post run I'm 196 and the cgm is 240. I'm still not going to correct but rather going to use this as part of my long term science experiment. 

Lots to consider vs changing, working out, changing and going home. 

What 112 pre and double arrows up looks like:


1 comment:

  1. There are so many things we have to consider just to make it through a day. It's really mind-boggling sometimes, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete