Sunday, January 16, 2011

Thanks Andrew

My older brother Andrew texted me last night to see if I wanted to use one of his guest passes for the Eagan Community Center to do some working out, good thing he did this was my first work out in preparation for the marathon.  Originally I was going to do the elliptical machine but was convinced to run/walk on the treadmill in order to start building up my tolerance.  I walked most of the way but did increase the heart rate with an occasional minute run, in all I went 4 miles in 64 minutes so this just under a seven hour run for the marathon at that same pace, it is also a good point to say "look where I've started at, and look where I am now" later closer to race time.

I ate breakfast, had my blood sugar high because I usually burn quite a bit down during the activity, I was surprised when I tested at the end because I didn't burn like I thought I would but then again I also mostly walked.  Going in I was 298, leaving 225, I'm sure after Subway for lunch I'll be back down to 125 or so.

On the way out of the gym I noticed a sign for a weight loss challenge that starts Feb 8th and runs 12 weeks.  This would be perfect timing because right when that is over I'll need to be outside preparing for the marathon.  It cost $89 and allows the use of the equipment so it is cheaper than a membership.  First place for one male and one female is a free membership for a year, I could totally win that prize and be on my was to a successful marathon.

Thanks Drew for the motivation this morning!

1 comment:

  1. way to go Doug - every marathon starts with a first step. I HIGHLY recommend that you log onto Runnersworld.com and check out the forums for some beginner's support. also find a training partner and don't scrimp on shoes - go to Running room and ask them to look at your gait because you may overpronate or supinate and they have shoes to help, also I highly recommend Run N Fun for their clearance room - great expensive shoes at 50% off!

    ReplyDelete